Thursday, January 1, 2009


2. M.I.A “Kala”


This album was one of my favorite finds of the year. Yes, Maya can get racy at times and you should listen with wisdom, but I’ve never listened to any musician who is so blunt and honest about the reality of social and political issues around the world.

This album has probably one of my top 3 favorite songs of the year, “Bird Flu” (maybe we’ll have to have a top songs of 2008 list later). Whenever I hear this song, it brings me back to the hills of Northern India; we did a lot of dancing there with the local’s haha. It’s probably the most lively song I’ve ever came across. If you’re not one for dancing, you will be after one listen of this song. “Hussel” paints an interesting perspective on our current “illegal-immigration debate” and “20 dollar” is one of the best depictions of 3rd world injustices and life-style I’ve ever heard in a song. “Paper Planes” is the song you’ve probably heard of. Either way…if you’re one for dancing around your apartment at random hours of the night, love different sounding music, love world beats, and extremely bright colors…M.I.A is an artist you must get to know.



1. Bird Flu
2. 20 Dollar
3. Hussel

No comments: